Sunday 9 November 2008

I long for peace and quiet.

My evenings are spent with the radio on in one room and the tv on in the other. We need the noise to mask out the sounds of the fireworks.

Why can't Guy Fawkes "night" be just that anymore? Just one night?

Lurcher No.2 is a wreck, afraid to walk out of the door once it's dark. The Greyhound is just about holding it together. He's OK but when the bangs start he runs around wondering what the heck the noise is. He looks to me for reassurance and I ignore him, and the noise, and pretend there is nothing out of the ordinary. You can see his brain thinking that if I'm not bothered, it must all be OK then and he can go back to sleep. Until the next bang. Thankfully Lurcher No.1 doesn't give a monkey's whatsits and sleeps through it all.

My nerves are on edge because I need quiet. I need to hear nothing. Absolutely nothing. My senses are going into overload with all this auditory input and I long for silence. And sleep. I need an early night but with the fireworks going on until gone 11pm, I can't. The noise has to stay until they stop. And because the hounds won't go out into the garden for their last night pees, they're waking me up at least twice in the night.

I hate fireworks.

13 comments:

  1. I HATE effing fireworks. I mean I HATES 'em. Never liked them when I was a kid and oh do I hate them as an adult.
    all my sympathies-
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully last night will be the last of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fourth of July is like that around here. We keep the animals in because they freak out over all the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only they could find out what Lurcher No. 1 has that the others haven't, they could produce a vaccine for the rest of the dogs in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate fire works and hope it rains really hard so that people will stay in doors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've only had a small amount on the 5th, and it's blowing a gale and p*ssing it down now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah yes like independence day here. now that firecrackers are legal in our state, people start blowing 'em off in june and don't stop until august.

    the poor dogs get so agitated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't even have cracker night down here any more! I remember it used to be in June though! Fire works were banned after a groom was killed by a wayward cracker on his wedding day! (Needless to say many idiots were maimed previous to that but apparently that was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. we seemed to get off lightly this year but my dog and cat both hate fireworks. As you say,let'#s keep them to one night and have organised displays far away from all animals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can sympathize. DIY fireworks types seem to have turned July 4into a month-long "celebration." It's so hard on the dogs and I don't enjoy the noise, either. Or all the rocket debris the folks can't be bothered to pick up after they've had their fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sentiments EXACTLY ! Not only do fireworks wrack my nerves, they are a waste of money. Every time I see one go off in the air, I see dollar signs.
    On the Fourth this year, there was a fireworks display in the mall parking lot across the street from where my daughter lives. She had locked the dogs in thinking that would keep them 'safe.'
    When she returned home, the black lab had torn the door down, eaten off all the woodowork around it, to get into the kitchen... It is still a mess. I felt so sorry for Roscoe and Waylon. They are still shell-shocked. My daughter works for the city...needless to say, "they" got a earfull.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dogs of England rise up in protest--and their exhausted owners. Seems like every English blog buddy I have is coping with frightened dogs and lack of sleep. How long does this go on?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We were lucky on Saturday night in Blandford, just a couple of not very loud bangs, the dogs were fine. 2 lurchers don't care and the third must be going deaf because he doesn't care anymore but used to shake, drool and pant at the slightest hint of a firework. I do feel for you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.