Monday 10 November 2008

Fun Monday - Remembrance

Our hostess this week is Janis over at Life According to Jan and Jer and this is our assignment:

Since next Tuesday is Veterans Day, I thought it would be nice to salute our Veterans and show our appreciation. Photo requirement of something patriotic.

It's not called Veterans Day here in the UK but we do still remember those who lost their lives in the two world wars and, indeed, in any war. Yesterday the UK marked Remembrance Sunday with services held at war memorials across the country. On Tuesday we also hold a minute's silence at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

I am too young to remember the World Wars but despite that, it is vitally important that we remember those that lost their lives for our freedom. I am old enough to remember the Falklands War and the invasion of Kuwait - those that lost their lives in those wars must also be remembered. And, regardless of what you think about the wars that are being fought now, whether our troops should be there or not, their lives, their bravery and their loyalty to their country must be equally honoured.

These are some photographs that I took at a local Remembrance Service two years ago. I thought long and hard about taking these photographs. These are men who fought in the Second World War and Remembrance Sunday is their day. Their day for remembering their fallen colleagues and what they themselves went through in that war. But taking these photographs was my way of honouring them, that the pain that showed openly on their faces was noted and remembered. They deserve to be remembered.







11 comments:

  1. I love the photos. They say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AOJ that was beautiful, just beautiful. You made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's clear from these photos that they are remembering all their brave comrades.
    My father was in Burma and was sent home just before the end of the war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fitting and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are just beautiful. I believe I've seen that first one here before and it struck me then as it does now.

    Thank you to ALL veterans. Your sacrifice is not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tribute … thanks for sharing here. I didn’t have time to post earlier today, so I’ve included a ‘belated’ Fun Monday in an ‘early’ Tuesday post at Small Reflections … just because.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, This is a wonderful tribute. I'm so glad you took those photos and shared them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a story those faces tell! I feel very lucky to be able to experience this through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a special case nobody remembers veterans in Germany !

    ReplyDelete
  10. There isn't the slightest hint of disrespect intended in this next remark, because I think these men & women were the greatest, but couldn't some of that pain in their faces be caused by the odd pang of arthritis, gout haemorrhoids, prostate trouble etc?:0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures, I love them all, I am glad that you took them

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.