Monday 17 November 2008

Fun Monday - Jewellery

Our Hostess this week is for M is for Misanthrope and this is our assignment:

Do you have a piece of jewelry or other item that holds great personal significance for you, and that you wear or keep with you every day? Show us a photo of your talisman, and tell us why it is so important to you.

Well, the easy answer to this is no, I don't.

I'm not big on jewellery and don't wear it very often - the only exception to that are my earrings, I have two holes in each ear with studs in one side and small hoops in the other; the other exception is a Celtic knot ring I wear on the fourth finger of my right hand. This was a 40th birthday present from the ex-Himself who (for those of you who know what's been going on and why he is an ex-Himself) was at pains to point out that this was just a ring and did not signify anything. In that respect, he is right, it did not signify anything in regard to our relationship.



Its significance to me is that it is made, at least partially, from Welsh gold . Welsh gold is very rare, very expensive and very exclusive - the wedding rings for the Royal family are traditionally made from pure Welsh gold - which is why mine is only partially made from it. In fact, the percentage of Welsh gold in it is probably miniscule but I don't care, it's a little bit of my heritage right there on my finger.

I do also have a couple of small pieces of jewllery that I don't think I have worn for a long, long time, but are special nonetheless.

This is a gold locket that was left to me by my great-grandmother


This is a silver locket that contains a lock of hair from my first step-father. He was a very special man and died from a heart attack when he was only 32 and I was just 11.



So that's my rather tame Fun Monday this week! Pop pver to Mariposa's to see who else is participating!

12 comments:

  1. its nice to have sentiment attached to your things..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about the relationship ending, but the Celtic ring is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great pieces :) I have a powder compact that my granny gave me, it's tucked away but I should get it out and clean it up sometime. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that ring! The contents alone make it amazing, but it's beautiful too.

    Your lockets are lovely. I have a couple, but they don't have much sentiment attached to them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Celtic ring. Although I didn't show any of my jewelery items coincidentally I too have gold and silver lockets similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ring is lovely. My husband's family is supposedly from Wales, but research has not proved this.

    The only jewelry that I wear frequently is my wedding ring, and even that is not always on my finger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing tame about that post. love the ring.

    P.S. I got your japanese tests pretty quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the celtic ring, its nice to wear something that represents your heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both my engagement ring & wedding ring were in 18ct Welsh Gold. I think my wedding ring was the last 18ct ring to be made as we had to get it done specially for me. The only wedding ring I wear now is my Aunt's mother's (my Aunt was my father's 1/2 sister & basically brought him up after she was admitted back into the family to do so after Grandda's 2nd marriage. I wear that ring on my Russian wedding finger (right hand). I've promised my Welsh Gold rings to my eldest as she has the closest ties to her father's land.

    1 of my favourite pieces of jewellry is the locket given to me by my mother 20 years after she hgave me my first locket. It's a strange piece with an Orthodox Cross on it & we think it belonged to the GGramma who never existed (she's not on any censuses & there's no birth cert for her. Both my lockets have my youngest's hair in them, but I only wear the old one every day

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ring is lovely. I'd never heard of Welsh gold. My Dad's family came from Wales, so you'd think I'd know. In my defense, they came here in the 1700's. I love the lockets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those lockets are just lovely AOJ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful lockets. What wonderful keepsakes!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.