Saturday 23 February 2008

Receep!

A few nights ago we had one of those throw-together meals - whatever is in the fridge and needs eating gets chucked in a pot and you see what comes out the other end sort of meals. The trouble with that sort of meal is it often turns out delicious but when you try do make it again, it never quite tastes the same. Regardless of how well you think you remember what ingredients you used.

So I'm going to write down tonight's throw-together to share with you.....and in the hope that I can make it again. Please bear in mind that when I say "throw together", I really do mean "throw-together" so you can change anything to your own taste.

Ingredients:

Onion
Red Pepper
Courgette
Baby tomatoes
Cooked left-over meat - I'm using lamb because that's what I have.
Rice
tablespoon of oil - I use sesame oil because I like the flavour
Stock - I used a mix of concentrated chicken stock and some Bouillon powdered vegetable stock because I didn't have any homemade to hand (no idea how much but about a litre should do it).
teaspoon of Paprika
teaspoon of Cumin seeds
Encona hot pepper sauce - to taste but I used a good teaspoon full.
two teaspoons of Japanese Mirin Sauce - optional but it's sweetness takes the edge off the tomatoes.

Method

In a pan, heat the oil, cumin seeds, pepper sauce, Mirin sauce and paprika. Cook for about 30 seconds and add the onion, pepper, courgette and baby tomatoes. Cook until soft, stirring regularly.

Add the uncooked rice and cook for a few minutes, stirring all the time. Add the stock and whilst that's simmering, add the cooked meat (if you're vegetarian you can just use more vegetables instead of meat).

Leave to simmer, stirring every few minutes so it doesn't stick to the pan, until the rice is cooked.

Eat!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.