Monday 22 December 2008

Well....

....last night, I went to church.

At this point, those that know me will fall over in complete shock. For those of you that don't know me, I am an athiest. So you can see why the fact that I went to church would come as something as a surprise.

Now don't get me wrong, I realise that faith is important to many people and I have a great deal of respect for that. It's just not for me.

So why was I in church? My colleague and I decided, it being Christmas, that we would like to attend a carol concert, which just happened to be in the local church. I think we both had visions of choirs and children singing carols and someone dressed as Mary riding into the church on a donkey.

Except it wasn't a carol concert, it was a carol service. By the time we realised, we were penned in to the pews and couldn't get out without making a bit of a scene, and neither of us wanted to do that. That would have been rude after all. So we sat through it, and it was absolutely lovely!

The church was lit with hundreds of candles and looked wonderful, And there was indeed a choir singing carols, and they were superb. There was a lot of religious stuff in there too, but I let that slip by me and enjoyed the singing, and watching parents trying to keep toddlers amused through the hour and half service!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was lovely!
    Hugs & Snugs
    Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, always good to be adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not religious by any wild stretch of the imagination, but I do love visiting churches when they are empty.

    Ever so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Methodist who's been on sabbatical for many years, but still love the traditional music of the holidays, especially when sung in a beautifully lit church with , as you say, a great mix of people of all ages coming together for some fellowship and good will.

    I hope you have a great holiday, AOJ and that it's just exactly what will make you happy. All the best in '09.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there! I LOVE candle lit services. Especially at Christmas. I think it adds a great element to the carol singing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't go to church either! My kids nearly died when we went to a christening a few weeks back. Carols are fun though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.