Saturday 14 June 2008

A quirky news story

As I'm feeling a little under the weather....no, hold that. Heck, if I'm going for sympathy I might as well milk it. As I'm feeling a lot under the weather (sore throat, swollen glands, sweats and all that coldy type stuff), I'm going to share with you a quirky little story I found on Ananova this morning.

An Italian nature reserve is claiming the world's first unicorn after a deer was born with a single horn in the centre of its head."This is fantasy becoming reality,'' said Gilberto Tozzi, director of the Centre of Natural Sciences in Prato, near Florence.

"The unicorn has always been a mythological animal.''

The roe deer was born in captivity in the research centre's park in the Tuscan town of Prato.

The condition is believed to have been caused by a genetic flaw, the deer's twin has two horns.

Mr Tozzi, who had never seen the condition before, said such anomalies may have inspired the myth of the unicorn.

The unicorn, a horse-like creature with magical healing powers, has appeared in legends and stories throughout history.

"This shows that even in past times, there could have been animals with this anomaly,'' he said. "It's not like they dreamed it up.''

13 comments:

  1. Oh, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better today. The "unicorn" is lovely isn't he. I owned a lovely grey horse for a time and one day we were cantering through a field and it began to snow in very large flakes - it had the effect of feeling Simon and I were floating along and I imagined he was a unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love unicorns! there is something about the image of a horse coupled with magic and wisdom that really touches me. hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it! Now we just have to find a fairy so we can prove they exist too! Very cute!

    Hugs, I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little guy needs a tassle on the end of his horn.
    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing to do with this post & the gorgeous little fellow. I had this delivered to my inbox in a poultry newsletter & wondered if it was of any interest to you:

    Tesco Want Hugh to Cough up £86,000 Chicken Bill
    UK - TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has been told he must pay Tesco £86,000 to put his concerns about chicken welfare to the supermarket's shareholders.

    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/poultrynews/15097/tesco-want-hugh-to-cough-up-86000-chicken-bill

    has the link to the BBC news story.

    My chickens are softly singing lullabies at present ~ they sort of coo at bedtime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Killi, yes I received that e-mail and he managed to raise the money too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad he has ~ chickens need loving & appreciating

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you're feeling better. I love the picture with this story. What a lovely little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to read you're under the weather, I hope you're feeling a bit better by now. Genetic flaw or not, that little 'unicorn' is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do hope you are feeling better by now.
    I like the unicorn idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't he such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how would you like to be butted in the behind by that cute little thing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.