Thursday 31 January 2008

Reading Fodder - help needed please

If the last Fun Monday revealed one thing it is that everyone who took part has books and reading as a common interest.

We all read for different reasons, perhaps to while away an hour or two, to help us get to sleep or to improve our knowledge on a particular subject. We may have hobbies that allow us to indulge our other hobby - reading - at the same time. Or, maybe, like me, you read for pure escapism.

My mum taught me to read before I started school and instilled in me a love of books and reading that grew and grew. My Grampa also encouraged my love of books: he travelled a lot with his job and always brought me a book or two as a present when he came home. It started with Enid Blyton and then moved on to Agatha Christie (I have the complete set!). My childhood, whilst not harsh by any stretch of the imagination, still had its ups and downs and I learnt to escape the downs by disappearing completely and utterly into my books.

Then I discovered science fantasy. The ultimate in escapism! Getting lost in a book set on different worlds was the best way I found of stepping out of my life for a short time when things were tough. Yes you could still relate to the characters but in a more wishful thinking sort of way rather than a "hey, you're describing my life, I know where you're coming from" sort of way. I read to get away from my life and I didn't want to be reading about other people's real life problems that might remind me of my own.

I do read other types of book - I love Kathy Reichs and James Rollins too (although some of his earlier books edge on being fantasy). One of my all time favourites is The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - which I see is being made into a film by the way. I also quite enjoy novels that weave a true story through them....many novels that have jumped on the Dan Brown bandwagon have made for a good read.

I still enjoy science fantasy immensely and I won't stop reading it but I think I need to broaden my horizons a little and this, dear reader, is where you come in......if you could suggest to me one fiction book that I should read in this lifetime, what would it be?

Amazon is going to love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.