Thursday 8 November 2007

All clear but....

I had one of my regular check-ups at the Royal Marsden yesterday and, after a few blips over the last couple of years, was told everything is fine. Sort of. There's no problem with my thyroxin medication and no problem with my thyroglobulin levels so absolutely no sign of any cancer returning. But back in May they sent me for a bone scan as the lack of a thyroid gland does make you more susceptible to osteoporosis and the results showed a slight problem in my left hip. They are not doing anything other than sending me for another scan next July - so it's obviously nothing to worry about right now.

The problem is not osteoporosis but osteopenia which can be a precursor to osteoporosis. A possible warning shot across the bows if you like. If I want to lessen the chances of developing osteoporosis, I need to look at my lifestyle and try to improve it in certain areas:

Diet - my diet is pretty good, I eat mainly fresh food and a good selection of fruit and vegetables, and very little processed food. I need to look at my calcium intake and see if I can up that a bit.

Exercise - exercise is good as bone develops as a result of the "stress" of exercise. I cycle about 3 miles a day and walk The Lurchers and Ruby twice a day so if I step out on the walks rather than amble, that should help.

Drink - I don't drink so alcohol isn't a problem and neither do I drink fizzy drinks very often.

Smoking - ahhhh. Yet another good and valid reason for giving up. I'm not a heavy smoker but I suppose even one is one too many.


Being given a pointer as to what you can likely expect in the future is actually quite a comfort. I felt a bit like that when I originally had the cancer diagnosis - "Ahhh...so that's what's going to get me in the end." Complete bunkum of course as the cancer I had does not usually spread anywhere, but it helped at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.