Tuesday 4 September 2007

Got a puncture?

Then buy a new bike. Which is what I did last night.

A little extravagant perhaps but having had two punctures in as many days in the same tyre, it occurred to me to check the wheel - a broken spoke appears to be the culprit. A new wheel would probably have done the job but my bike is getting on a bit now and is a bit of a boneshaker. The brakes needed replacing, the saddle was falling apart and as I've not really looked after the bike properly, it didn't really look t its best anymore.

So I took myself off to Halfords last night to purchase a new one. I was in a bit of a hurry as I had to get back to meet my car mechanic to get my MOT sorted out, so I grabbed an assistant and said "I want a new bike. Mountain bike-ish but I only do about 4 miles a day on a gravel track so it doesn't have to be expensive. I don't want pink or lilac (as most of the ladies' bikes in my price range seemed to be) and this must fit it" waving my basket bracket in his face.

So he grabbed a mens' bike, said "try that". I did. It was great. I paid for it. He put it in the car. I was home again within 30 minutes.

A most satisfactory shopping trip and I feel quite giddy with excitement - which tells you something about the state of my life doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.