Tuesday 9 January 2007

How exciting!

We spent our first night at the cottage last night. Everyone kept asking me if I was excited. Well, no, actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to moving in, despite the headaches about where we're going to put everything, but a few people are just being so bloody down about the whole issue of me having the cottage and what's going on there that they've really taken the edge of the whole thing.

For example, there was a kerfuffle about where we put the oil tank. It had to go outside the boundary of the cottage, practicalities dictated that. Someone complained and made things very difficult for a few weeks. Then someone else said they'd heard rumours about the amount of work going on at the cottage had exceeded what had been estimated. Yes it had. Often the way with renovations but we couldn't stop to ask the Directors for permission to carry on with basic work that had to be done, and to which they would have agreed anyway. Then one of them queried whether there actually was any dry rot. OH has only been doing property maintenance work for the last 30 years so he couldn't possibly know dry rot when he sees it could he? Then there are my colleagues who are trying to cause the boss hassle and using my move into the cottage to do it. "Oh", they say to me "you do realise it's not personal don't you?" No I bloody don't and it certainly feels like it's personal.

I'll be so glad when it's someone elses turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.