Wednesday 25 April 2007

Freecycle Ups and Downs

I like Freecycle. At least, today I like Freecycle. Last week I didn't like Freecycle very much at all.

I like Freecycle today because I have just been to pick up a lawn-mower from a lovely lady who lives just down the road. It's apparently four years old but it looks brand-spanking new. Huzzah!

I didn't like Freecycle last week because I seemed to choose nearly all the wrong people to give the items to. It went something like this:

Mini hi-fi - lovely single mum with autistic daughter turned up to collect. A bit late but she at least had the courtesy to ring and let me know. So far so good.

Sony Stereo system & Double ring gas camping stove - two items, lots of interest but one chap wanted them both so I went with him. I had specified that they must be collected on the Sunday in the ad because we were clearing out the flat and would be there to hand them over. Not a problem he said. Then he e-mailed to say he would be there in the evening so I packed them up and left them outside the door for him. Monday morning, another e-mail to say he would now be there Monday evening. Monday evening, another e-mail to say he would be there Tuesday. By Wednesday I gave up. Re-advertised the stereo and contacted another chap who had been very keen on the stove and arrived to pick it up on Thursday morning as arranged.

Sony Stereo System take 2 - a lady who'd missed out the first time contacted me again and we arranged for her to pick it up on Thursday evening. No show. She rang on Friday to say she hadn't been able to make it and OH told her it would be there until 10am on Saturday morning. By 2pm on Saturday no sign of her.

Scanner - a lady arranged to pick this up on Wednesday evening. On Thursday I had an e-mail to say her brother was in the area and would pick it up for her. No-show. I e-mailed her and she promised it would be picked up Friday. By Saturday still no sign.

Printer - picked up as agreed on Thursday evening. Hoo bloody ray.

I was almost on the point of giving up on Freecycle completely but there are one or two people do restore your faith in the system. A local group wanted items for a fund-raising Spring Fayre. I offered them 10 boxes of books and five boxes of bric a brac and they turned up on Saturday afternoon and took the lot. Including the scanner and stereo that still hadn't been collected.

But now I have my lawn-mower I'm a very happy bunny. *sighs*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.