Friday 14 July 2006

And about time too

On Wednesday evening I finally got round to ringing an old friend that I haven't seen or spoken to for over 12 years.

Janet and I were at agricultural college together and we hit it off from the word go. We were "ladettes" before anyone had even thought to invent the term! We smoked, we drank, we swore and we didn't give a monkeys what anyone thought! The thing about agricultural college, even one as small as Gelli Aur, was that the boys seriously outnumbered the girls, in our case, 12 girls and 70 odd boys, so you did what you had to do to fit in. Even the lecturers said we were the coarsest bunch of girls they'd ever had there!

Janet dumped me in a bath of silage on my 18th birthday and I dumped her in a freezing cold water trough in January on hers! She taught me to roll cigarettes and I introduced her to the joys of Snakebite!

Janet's family - Mum and Dad, two brothers and a sister - welcomed me into the fold as one of their own, but then that's what farming families in Wales do. Being an only child in a single-parent family, this was such an eye-opening thing to happen that I've loved them all dearly ever since. As we grew up a bit, I was bridesmaid at Janet's first wedding and top-table guest at her second. Mine was the bolt-hole she escaped to when her first marriage collapsed around her. I should have been god-mother to her first daughter, Alice, but as I hadn't been christened, the Vicar was having none of it! Even if he had, I'm not entirely I would have been the kind of god-mother he would have had in mind!

The last time I saw Janet was Alice's 1st birthday. We didn't drift apart but she was in West Wales, I had moved to London and we just didn't stay in touch. My fault because I knew where Janet was and I kept moving about so she never knew where to find me. I still thought about her from time to time and kept meaning to call but never seemed to get round to it. Fortunately we have the kind of relationship that we could talk after a few months as if we had only spoken yesterday. But 12 years is a bit longer than a few months and whilst I was 99% sure Janet would be pleased to hear from me, that 1% doubt made me a bit nervous!

But I shouldn't have worried, once she picked herself up off the floor we were again chatting like we only spoke last week. What nearly made me blub was that she obviously had photos of me around and had talked to Alice about me and Alice says she remembers me and, with no prompting, ran off to get the totally inappropriate charm bracelet I had bought her for her 1st birthday! I've yet to meet her younger daughter, Sarah, but hhopefully it won't be too long before I do. Friendships that endure like that are to be treasured and I'm so glad I finally picked up the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.