Sunday 2 January 2005

Happy Bunny

I have finally bought myself a new computer. It's only taken me a year to get around to it. The reason for this is that I find myself experiencing palpitations at the thought of spending such a vast sum of money. I panic that my reserves will be depleted and that there will be nothing put by for emergencies. However, I managed to overcome that by virtue of the fact that my dear mother is giving me a rather large sum of money for my birthday so on new Year's Eve I went out and did the deed.



Very nice it is to. All black and silver and shiny and with a whopping 17" flat screen....very sexy! The technical details somewhat elude me but it's very fast and has 256mb of RAM which, as I commented to the salesman, was a marked improvement on the 34mb of RAM on my old computer. After picking himself up off the floor at the shock of the thought that someone was still actually managing to survive on 34mb of RAM, he commented "that's not old, it's positively antique". Maybe, but it kept going....just. And I have sound! Something I haven't had since my last computer's hard drive decided to terminate itself 3 years ago and the new sound drivers simply refused to load.



However, the problem with getting a new computer is what to do with all the stuff on the old one. There's a lot of stuff on there that I obviously don't want to lose, especially photographs. Important documents are not a problem as I've just e-mailed them to myself so they can be easily retrieved but trying to do that with the best part of 500 photographs is difficult, to say the least. A very helpful chat with SimonG and MMM rapidly disabused me of the notion that simply joining the two computers together with a length of wire was all that would be needed. Apparently it's a little more complicated that that. Well it would be wouldn't it? However, assistance is at hand. A good pal is slightly more computer orientated than I am and a chat with him this morning solved the problem in an instant. He has a USB memory stick, will bring it with him when he comes down in a few weeks and will spend the evening transferring everything over for me. Hurrah!



Isn't it nice having lovely friends!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.