Sunday 9 January 2005

Good times

I have just had a fantastic weekend.



As reported in my last blog, we were heading down to Wales for my Mum' 60th Birthday party. En route we stopped to see my bestest friend in Brecon. Well, it's not quite "en route", quite a major detour actually but what the heck, it was the closest we've been to that part of the world in a long time so major detour notwithstanding, I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to see her. It was something of a blustery journey it has to be said and as she lives out in the wilds, there were one or two moments when we wondered if we'd actually get there in one piece. But get there we did and although we were only there few hours, I'm glad we made the effort. We haven't seen each other for over a year and she's had a crap year. Although we talk regularly on the phone, it doesn't make up for a hug in person!



Friday night turned into a mini-party with just 6 of us...my mum produced a box of old photographs, some of which were wonderful sepia pictures of my great-great grandparents. Some pictures were slightly more recent and there was much hilarity over those dating from the 70s. The clothes we wore!!



The party at my mum's on Saturday was supposed to be a quiet affair with people popping in as and when they could from 4pm on. By 7pm, a major party was in full swing! My whole family were there, including a few cousins that I grew up with who we hadn't expected. Several happy hours were spent reminiscing over childhood antics and forgotten memories. Also one cousin who is 14 months old and who I got to meet for the first time.



The Lurchers behaved themselves impeccably over the whole weekend and drew many admiring remarks from all the guests. Made me very proud they did!!



Living so far away from my family, it's too easy to not stay in touch and we seem to fall into that cliche of only meeting at weddings and funerals, with the funerals seeming to happen much more frequently than weddings these days. Once again we all agree to keep in touch....and with e-mail, we have no excuse not too. Yay for families!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.